Monday 11 March 2013

Flies for Free State still waters in March


My initial estimates of fishing twice a week was way off. So far I've been able to get in a session 5 days a week on average. With winter approaching, darkness sets in at about 7 but that will not keep. So the winter trips will most likely be less, considering the fact that the trout waters are a little further away than quickly dashing out for a few bass or yellows.

But, alas with things as they are, one is still able to sneak in an hour or two after slaving for clients this time of year. The following are a few flies I managed to cook up in between fishing trips. One can after all, not fish every day, although that would be the goal.

From left to right, ant flies of my own making, caddis/moth imitations of my own, Dr Hans's Flying Ant and finally, Dr hans's foam hopper.

These are very very effective this time of year. You will not find a yellow falling prey to a beetle pattern in March but hoppers seem to do the trick just fine. There are also frequent flying ant occurrences now so be sure to have some of those in your box come this time of year.

An ant pattern is always a good fly to carry with you all year round and the caddis patterns are an absolute must this time of year.

I will try and post some better pictures in the near future. I took these with my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment