Saturday 2 March 2013

Traffic at the water's edge

A very revealing trip to Loch Athlone this afternoon. Arriving at the water's edge this afternoon, we found two people fishing on the wall. With them covering the left bank, we decided to go over to the other side. With the wind coming from in front of us and some trees behind us, I walked back to 4x4 to fetch the bass rods. Again, after casting and working lures for about 25 minutes, I once again confirmed that lure fishing is not really for me.

It was at about this time that in small groups, hordes of fisherman arrived at the wall, with one group even settling to our right on the bank and casting across, from where we were fishing. Another fisherman moved into the spot where I was standing a mere 2 meters from where I was standing tying on some new flies, since I decided to switch back to fly since the wind calmed down.

After targeting small bass for a while, we decided to call it a day as there were now more lure fisherman around, than fish in the water.

Note to self: Avoid Loch Athlone like the plague, on weekends.

Tomorrow I will be trying Saulspoort (Saulplaaitjies). I was told today that we can expect to find bass and trout in said waters.

Will keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. hey!!! i read all your blog posts and i like very much all your activities.
    clarens info

    ReplyDelete