Monday 4 March 2013

Yesterday afternoon I went to check out the waters at Saulspoort dam below the dam wall. There was no water flow which made conditions challenging to say the least.

After trying numerous different leeches, terrestrials and such I finally cracked the code. Managed this little specimen on a dry and dropper configuration. The fish were feeding sub-surface on buzzers. This little guy fell victim to a grey PTN size 18. Micro patterns seems to be most deadly around these parts.


I also managed a hookup of a 5kg+ bus on a size 16 Adams but with the 6X tippet I was using he broke me off. Alas no photographic evidence.

The area in and around Bethlehem have wonderful fly fishing opportunities for Bass, Yellowfish and Trout. I will be spending a lot of time scouting new locations and getting to know the aquatic life. It looks like I have cracked the code for still waters in this area. I will be concentrating on the rivers to the North and South of town this week. We are already in the process of planning a few Sterkies trips and a trip to Lesotho. I have built up some contacts for access to waters in Lesotho not currently available to anyone. Very exciting times ahead.

As soon as I have some concessions secured, I will start guiding in the area which would probably be in about a month or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment